Tuesday 23 June 2015

How time flies- Part 1

Can’t believe I haven’t posted anything on this blog for close to 3 years now. I started this blog during my one year MBA program. There was so much that one wanted to share. More than anything, I really wanted to keep a written record of all my experiences in life through this blog. Even today when I read an old post, I feel like I am reliving those moments again, and just like that life is beautiful again! so heres an attempt to fill in the gap of last 3 years, and all the events that marked these years. I sincerely hope to be more regular with the blog henceforth.

The last 2 semester of our MBA program began in Singapore, in Oct 2012. The lush green campus was such a relief from the wretched deserts of Dubai. As we began our specialization courses in, hold your breath- Investment Banking and Finance, Rajeev and I realized that we needed to seek some solace to survive from the finance onslaughts. Rajeev found his in “Sutta” and I found mine in Buddhism. And together we discovered the joys of McDonalds to see us thru the misery of finance specialization. Adding further to my suffering, I got elected to the student body of College Placement Committee.  Rajeev was sane enough to keep away from it.

Personally for me, Singapore was a much better experience than Dubai. For one, Rajeev and I decided to go 7-8 months without fighting (atleast not in the ugly way). Unfortunately, my medical test added an ugly turn to the whole experience. For months together I had to live through the horror of medical tests, consultations and visa extension. Couldn’t have gotten through it without the support of friends from Soka Gakkai (big thank you to Florence, Min Ling, Shirley, Rajesh, Patrick and so so many more). The icing on the cake however was that Rajeev and I, the two so called lower mortals of finance cohort, managed to get ourselves placed through campus. And not to forget, we also got ourselves a fancy ass ALP project with Ernst and Young Singapore. I personally got my sweet revenge on Singapore by bagging an internship with DBS and McKinsey Consulting, Singapore! hell Ya!

Amongst all this, my fave memories are that of making mid night trips to McDonalds, going grocery shopping to 7-11, chanting at the SSA headquarter kaikan, mid night madness of sharing suttas and dragging random chairs to sutta point, chef Rajeev’s prep of chicken sausage sandwiches and Nutella with biscuits( all ingredients wily sourced from hapless others), trekking down to Queenstown mall to sample pizza and food court fares..…..even some low points such as being seated in the corner most ignored by all professors is worth reminiscing now.

In all Singapore was a great place and we each came back with a lifetime of beautiful memories……and some academic credentials :-) :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment