Tuesday 13 June 2023

Guilt Trip

 My dearest Nyra, 

Today I travelled to mumbai for work, and you are with your dad in Gurgaon. While I come back tomorrow, the guilt of missing time with you is playing on my mind. It got worse when you started crying as I was packing. 

I hope by the time you grow up, it will be normal for mothers to be working
too. I sincerely believe that women are super achievers and they can do anything, rise up from any adversity. It is just as normal for a woman to have professional ambitions as for a man. Likewise, it should be normal for men to be homemakers if they want to. 

But I tell you, no matter how much we normalise working for women, the guilt of time spent away from our children will never dissipate for women. It’s in our DNA, in the way women are wired. At this moment I know you are well taken care of. You have your didi’s with you as well as your daddy; you are in a safe space. Maybe what we feel is really a deep yearning to feel/see our children around us, the comfort that it brings to us. Even if you and I are not doing anything together, just the knowledge that you are around me, makes me feel content. 

Quoting from Mumbai - a child gives birth to a mother. 

This trip will end tomorrow but the guilt trip never ends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment