Saturday 11 August 2012

My Internship Experience


      It was 14th Feb, 2005, my first day as an intern. As I walked into the office for my internship I was aghast to see red heart shaped balloons, red roses and chocolates on each desk.  I rechecked to confirm if this was the same MNC bank that I had been interviewed with. I expected Monday morning tensions, energy, stress et al. But, definitely not Valentine’s Day celebration!

      So that is how my internship began, not too bad actually. I was a fresh graduate in Economics honours from one of the best universities in India and well, had a mountain-size chip on my shoulder. My plan was to work exceptionally hard and dazzle the company with my performance and ultimately land a permanent placement with the bank. There was just one problem though, the plan seemed a lot easier in my head than in reality. I had to lose my chip first, which seemed like a herculean task then.My immediate team had a very diverse mix of people, comprising a rather older age group, with mixed backgrounds, culture and different mindsets. These were the people that I had to work with for six months, and most importantly, learn from. And of course my “attitude” did not help. My bohemian, straight-from-college-I-don’t-care attitude rubbed my colleagues in face. People were quick to judge me, some even took wagers on how long I would last. Honestly I wondered so too.

      Even though I picked the work within a week’s time, my colleagues did not warm up to me for over 2 months. I learned to not be ‘miss snooty’ but I still had trouble finding company for lunch. I was miserable and lonely. And then it happened! My boss requested me to help in organizing a birthday celebration for a colleague in office. Having a special qualification (non-certified, of course) in organizing parties it wasn’t difficult for me to rise up to the occasion. And just like that, over snacks and colas, I finally managed to break the ice with my colleagues.

     The rest of my internship was rather smooth. I made great friends and learnt some valuable lessons in life. Looking back, I think part of the reason why my colleagues disliked me was because of the fearless courage and hope of the youth that I carried with me. I reminded them of what it was like to be young and so free. Had I been more intuitive then, I would have identified the real problem sooner.

    Great lessons in life are learnt from living them. Those six months of internship taught me new lessons in humility. I learnt to respect people who had different opinions. And more importantly, I learnt to differentiate content from flak. In many ways the first internship is like a rites of passage, coming of age etc. In a span of six months I lost my rough edges and ahem,’ yuppiness’. I learnt to be a professional  As Steve Jobs said, ‘you cannot join the dots looking forward, you can only join the dots looking backward’. I wouldn’t be the person that I am today had I not taken back some hard hitting lessons from my first internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment